The Alabama Coalition Against Rape (ACAR) is a statewide nonprofit organization working to prevent sexual violence in the State of Alabama. Since its inception in 1995, ACAR has utilized its voice to advocate for the rights of countless victims and affect critical change through its active role in public policy, education and training.
Sexual Violence is defined as any act of sexual assault or rape. The crime of sexual violence is based on power and control of another person.
Specifically, ACAR works:
- To improve treatment of and services to sexual assault victims
- To increase the reporting of sexual assaults
- To increase public awareness of sexual assault
- To improve investigation and prosecution of sexual assault
ACAR’s services include:
- Training for allied professionals through workshops and conferences
- Education of the public about sexual assault through prevention programs, website, quarterly newsletter and other materials
- Advocacy for sexual assault survivors with statewide agencies an in the formation of public policy
- Support for sexual assault program staff through training, technical assistance, and our resource library of books, videos and training materials
- Networking with other statewide agencies that address issues of violence against women
- Providing information, technical assistance, and resources to anyone seeking to learn more about the prevalence and prevention of sexual violence
At the heart of ACAR’s success is the network of 16-member rape crisis centers that provide FREE caring and quality services to survivors of this devastating crime.